Plac Zgody served as the site of mass murders of Kraków Jews in the years 1941-1943; it was from here that the Jews were transported to concentration camps.
From the first days for the Nazi occupation, German authorities continued to restrict the rights of Jews, commanding them in 1940 to leave the city of Kraków within 3 months.
The 17,000 of those who remained were forced into the ghetto formed in March 1941 in a part of the District of Podgórze.
From 1st to 8th June and on 28 October 1942, mass displacement of inhabitants of the ghetto to the death camp in Bełżec continued, and the area of the ghetto was reduced and divided into two sections. Those in employment lived in section A whilst section B was inhabited by the unemployed.
On 13th March 1943, the Nazis liquidated the ghetto: inhabitants of the section A were marched to the labour camp in Płaszów, and people living in section B, mostly women and children, the elderly and the ill, were murdered or transported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.